UK-US Venue Dispute Puts Tyson Fury-Anthony Joshua Fight in Doubt
Plans for a November fight between Tyson Fury and Anthony Joshua have been thrown into doubt by a disagreement over where the heavyweight contest would be staged. BBC Sport reports that Joshua and promoter Eddie Hearn have signed a contract for a bout in the United Kingdom, while Saudi organisers are seeking to move the event to the United States.
Watch the highlights:
Madison Square Garden in New York is understood to be the preferred US venue of Saudi-owned Sela, which has separate contracts with Fury and Joshua. The fight is due to be shown by Netflix if it proceeds. Fury said in a series of Instagram posts that the contest did not look likely to happen, blaming Joshua and Hearn over money and saying he would move on to another opponent if an agreement was not reached.
Hearn told IFL TV on Thursday that proposed changes had been sent to Sela for a fight in America. He said the main issue was compensation for Joshua because the boxer would receive less under a US staging arrangement than under the UK terms already agreed, citing different tax implications. Hearn added that he had received no feedback from Sela for three or four days.
The requested addendum also covers practical matters including travel, accreditation and media arrangements, according to Hearn. He said Joshua and the boxer's lawyer approved it before it was submitted. Hearn rejected suggestions that issues in a leaked email formed part of the addendum sent to Sela.
Hearn confirmed that Matchroom had separately met Sela about money owed under previously agreed contracts. He said those matters, reported to involve boxing as well as darts and snooker business, were separate from the Fury-Joshua agreement. He did not directly address claims that Joshua was still owed money from his latest fight against Kristian Prenga. BBC Sport said it had contacted Sela for comment.
The negotiations also involve the US-based Zuffa Boxing operation led by Dana White and jointly owned by Sela and TKO Group Holdings. Hearn has opposed moving the bout to America, arguing it should take place in Britain, where Joshua won Olympic gold at London 2012 and built his professional career. BBC Sport also contacted TKO for comment. With no final resolution reported, the venue and the fight itself remain uncertain.
Comments
0No comments yet
Be the first to share your thoughts!