Baller League UK Moves Online After Sky Sports Deal Ends
Baller League UK will no longer be shown on Sky Sports after the broadcaster's agreement with the six-a-side football competition was not renewed. BBC Newsbeat confirmed the change on Tuesday after it was first reported by The Guardian. Matches will remain available through Baller League's streams on YouTube, Twitch and TikTok.
Watch the highlights:
The UK competition launched in March 2025 and combines former professional players, content creators and emerging footballers in 30-minute matches. Its rules include changes to the traditional game, while well-known managers have included England player Chloe Kelly and online creators KSI and Angry Ginge. The format was first launched in Germany.
Baller League chief executive Felix Starck said in a statement that Sky Sports had been treated as an addition to the competition's strategy rather than its central distribution channel. He disputed the suggestion that Sky had dropped the league and said the organisation was designed to reach viewers directly through online platforms.
Starck claimed that more than 90% of the competition's audience watches online and that viewing had risen by two-thirds from one season to the next. BBC Newsbeat reported that Baller League UK's second season generated about 9.1 million YouTube livestream views, while the third and most recent season reached about 12 million. That amounts to an increase of roughly 32% on YouTube.
The BBC noted that figures for live viewing on Twitch and TikTok were not readily available, meaning the full audience across all platforms could not be independently assessed from those numbers. Starck has previously argued that the format performs strongly among viewers aged 16 to 28, but the BBC said that comparison was difficult to verify. He has also pointed to lower ticket costs and free online viewing as benefits of the competition.
Sky Sports declined to comment publicly. However, BBC Newsbeat said it understood that the broadcaster was satisfied with the league's audience figures and social-media engagement, and that the partnership had reached a natural conclusion. The change leaves Baller League UK relying entirely on its direct online outlets for match broadcasts as the competition continues beyond its third season.
Comments
0No comments yet
Be the first to share your thoughts!